Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Nancy Franke Workshop... Fantastic!



Can't believe I have been to Atlanta's, Art School of Sandy Springs and I am back from a fast paced, two day, exciting workshop with Nancy Franke. Nancy is quite a dynamo and I put her at the top of my list of outstanding workshop instructors. Here you see Nancy giving her group a brief introduction and overview. Handouts are being distributed and everything is so well organized and explained that there is no need for notetaking.
Nancy did a fabulous demo using her limited palette of ultramarine blue, lemon yellow, cad.
red medium, white and she occasionally uses
alizarin crimson.
Our first exercise was a paper towel painting. Do you see that piece of paper in Nancy's hand? That is a "paper towel brush" or "tool" as Nancy calls it. One piece of paper towel is rolled loosely, then folded in half and twisted about 1 1/2 inches down from the fold. After setting up what we were to paint, we had 10 minutes to complete the paper towel painting. Dynamo Nancy made the rounds several times and like a bee with all its energy, gave us words of encouragement and lots of laughs.
Tomorrow, I will post a painting (unfinished of course) that I worked on in the workshop.



6 comments:

  1. Judy, this looks terrific. I can't wait to see your beautiful work as a result of Nancy Franke's workshop. Sounds like you had loads of fun, and learned a lot. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I agree with everything you said and it was fun and so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me want to be right back there Saturday morning starting over- great review. Nancy's paper towel painting was really good!
    So good to meet y'all and thanks again for my chocolate 'happy'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed it was terrific workshop! Kathy you are such a fun gal to paint with and I wish we could paint together more often. Yes, I would love to do it all over again and again.... and again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy I wondered what papertowel painting was! Thanks for the explanation. Wanted to take the workshop but tried to sign up too late. Look forward seeing more of your beautiful art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A paper towel painting!? I love this! I've never heard of it! Thank you for sharing -

    ReplyDelete