Thursday, April 14, 2011

Plein Air Painting with John Pototschnik

"Monochomatic Landscape Study #2" by J Joy Nocifora ©2011
9 x 12 oil on linen

Sometimes I hesitate to post work done in a workshop. First, it is not a finished painting and second, it most often not a painter's best work. I decided, however, to post this one to show the excellent instruction that I have experienced in John Pototschnik's workshop here in Pontotoc, Mississippi. I am so thrilled with all that I am learning. I feel like I have come miles in the past two days with John's attention and guidance.
I have painted two different studies like the one above using only raw umber. The #2 landscape study above was painted on location at Dot Courson's home. The first landscape study was completed in our studio location from a photograph. Tomorrow, we will add color to these monochromatic studies. I can't wait to see how they will look!
Today was the most gorgeous day!... glorious sunshine and not too warm. Dot and Jackie Courson have organized a fabulous workshop. Tonight they had all the participants to a cookout on their beautiful deck. It is great fun to be with such a talented group of painters!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like fun! I love your painting! Hope you are having fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful just as it is, a study- wow, very nice! Sounds like this has been a wonderful workshop for you. So fun when things all start clicking! Look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an excellent practice that you did in your class to do a monochrome study. I pretty much do that consistently before my watercolors and also urge my students to do so but haven't done it as much with the oils. A value study helps eliminate a lot of other problems down the road- If the design doesn't' work in 1 color it's unlikely to work even with the most beautiful colors. Value is the key to a strong painting that has visual impact..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing the process - thanks!

    ReplyDelete